Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 20, January 20: Ball Jars

I don't think I have ever opened a can of coconut milk and managed to use part of it without spilling it all over the counter. You know how hard it is to stir natural peanut butter. Stirring coconut milk is even more difficult to do without making a mess. Even if you shake the can well before you open it, the coconut water and fat just don't like to mix.

I have a new strategy to deal with this problem. And it involves one of my new favorite things: Ball jars! Here's what I do when I open a new can of coconut milk. I pour the coconut water into a quart jar, and then scoop the fat in. I use a spatula to break the fat into smaller chunks, put a lid on the jar (I prefer the plastic jar lids to the metal ones), and then I shake it up!  Shake shake shake! When you're shaking, the extra air in the jar helps the fat to get distributed throughout the milk.

Once you're done, you can pour off the milk you are using for your recipe, and then store the rest of it in the fridge in your Ball jar. Coconut milk is a wonderful ingredient in sauces, curries, and smoothies. Only be sure to use it all within a week, or it'll grow nasty mold.

I do love Ball jars. They are so handy. I love that even though they come in different sizes, the lids are interchangeable, so that problem of "where's the damn lid for this tupperware" no longer exists. The glass jars don't absorb odors like plastic does. I use them for storing food in the fridge, dried foods, nuts, grains, even cat food.

From left to right: coconut milk, sprouts sprouting , cooked kale, almond milk, paleo granola, raw cashews.
What I ate today:

  • 7:30 AM: 1 c cooked quinoa with 2 tbsp flaxseeds, 1 tbsp flax oil and 6 oz almond milk
  • 12 PM: 1 c cooked kale with garlic and oil, 2 slices multigrain toast with egg salad, made of 2 hardboil eggs, 1/2 avocado and 1 tbsp vegenaise. This is outrageously good. I can't believe I've never experienced this tastiness before in life.
  • 3 PM: 1/2 c paleo granola, 1/2 c almond milk
  • 7 PM: 1/2 c brown rice, 1/2 c cooked kale, 1 c raw spinach, 3 oz panfried tempeh, 1/2 c sprouts, 3 tbsp "no-peanut" almond sauce sooooooooooo good.
  • We're going out to a movie shortly. Will bring some trailmix to keep from eating popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment