Monday, January 2, 2012

Day 1 AND Day 2, combined

Since I got a slow start in getting this blog together, I am posting about yesterday (New Years Day) and today in one post.

First: New Years Day!
Day 1...got off to a rough start. I found myself wondering if I could just start the challenge the next day...but deadlines are deadlines, sometimes a person just has to deal.
I didn't get much sleep (maybe 2 or three hours) the night before since we had family visiting, and grandbaby Calvin did quite a bit of crying in the middle of the night. Add to that I was feeling some stress about being ready for church New Years morning, and well...I woke up early, pretty zonked. Some days are gonna be like that.
No time to hit a WOD.

What I ate:
  • breakfast: protein shake. Some day soon I'll write a whole post about what I put in these.
  • 1 PM: lunch at the Indian buffet in Delmar with a friend. Stayed away from the creamy stuff, and ate only one plateful of the vegan-looking stuff. No dessert, of course.
  • 5 PM: party at my church to celebrate the New Year. grilled cheese sandwich, bowl of butternut squash soup, and 2 devilled eggs. Ate none of the hundreds of delicious-looking desserts (the cupcake tower was beautiful, but I resisted it's power.
  • Arrived home around 7 PM. Snacked with the family as we opened Christmas presents.  A few corn chips with hummus, two more devilled eggs, 2 handfuls of nuts and raisins, 1/2 a persimmon (so yummy!)
How I felt: happy, contented (once church on Sunday morning was over).

Day 2: my husband's birthday, and house still full of family


What I ate:

  • 8:30 AM: 1 hard-boiled egg
  • 10 AM: out to breakfast with the family at the Blue Ribbon diner. Ate a greek salad (lettuce, one hard-boiled egg, a few olives and cukes and some feta cheese, small amount of dressing)
  • 11:30: 1/3 cup muesli and 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 PM: bowl with 1/4 c brown rice, 1/2 c steamed kale, 1/2 c home-grown lentil sprouts, and 2 tsp. tahini dressing--really tasty!
  • 3:45 PM: pre-WOD protein-plus cashew cookie bar
  • 7 PM: post-WOD protein shake (tried a new recipe: 2 dates, 6 oz almond milk, 1/4 c protein powder, some crushed ice--a simpler recipe, and it was really surprisingly good!)
  • 8 PM: 1/2 c spinach sauteed in olive oil and fresh garlic, cup of black bean soup, 1/2 c greek yogurt, and half an avocado.
All day long my left shoulder felt knotted up and painful. Stretched and did trigger-point release, a lot. Nevertheless, what I exercised:

  • 5 PM WOD:  
  • I. "Grux"
    21-18-15-12-9-6 unbroken sets of HSPU (scaled to knees on box)
  • II. 5 rounds
    3 sets of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats
    We did this in partners: while one partner worked, the other rested between rounds.
    scaled to ring rows and knee pushups
    1st round was 5-10-15. 2nd-5th rounds were 3-6-9. Finished with Angie in about 24 minutes :)
  • III. Tabata flutter kicks. ugh. sort of did this, though I probably worked 10 seconds and rested 20 of every round.
How I felt:  despite the shoulder stiffness, I felt good today. Long nap this afternoon which I think I needed, given the stress and sleeplessness of the day before. Lots of energy during the WOD, able to keep up with Angie, though I did get a bit asthmatic at the end of part II and decided to take another hit of the inhaler.

Now I am publishing this post, even though it's only 9 PM, because that way I can't have any more snacks tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment