Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 19, January 19

Hey y'all. I've been gone away for a bit--went on retreat and since I've been back, working hard to catch up.

Interesting link: Michael Gregory, coach from Crossfit Central, posted about his recent experiments with going vegan. There are other valid ways of eating besides paleo, people.

I decided to take a longer period of rest and recovery this week. I have been going strong (crossfitting 4-5 times per week) for about two months now, and a combination of factors made me decide that some time away would do my body good. So while I was on retreat at Camp Fowler, I did a lot of stretching and foam rolling, took a long walk in the cold, and tried to sleep (not so easy when I'm not in my own bed!) Then yesterday and today I rested some more.

Tomorrow I'll spend some time at the gym doing some active recovery, rowing, and some volume training, and then Saturday hit a WOD.

At Camp Fowler, I did manage to stick pretty closely to my diet--even though there were pancakes or french toast at every breakfast, and cookies and cake served at every lunch and dinner!--I steered clear of all the simple carbs and sugar. I stuck to the eggs and salads and bean soups etc., healthy stuff, with one gross exception: "Crack Sauce."  It's called that because it's addictive. So good!  A friend brought this on the retreat, and I couldn't stop myself from eating it, late into the evening, every evening...on crackers, on chips, etc.

Today's meals, more or less, I am back on board:

  • 7:30 AM: 1 c. cooked quinoa, with raisins, 2 tbsp flax seeds and 1 tbsp flax seed oil, and 6 oz almond milk
  • 10 AM: 1 Larabar brand cashew cookie
  • 12 PM: 1 c cooked kale with garlic and oil, 1/2 c cooked buckwheat, 1/2 c greek yogurt
  • 4 PM: 1 c vegetarian chili, 1 tiny spinach-stuffed bun from the Loving Cafe
  • 6 PM: big spinach salad with 2 eggs, 1/2 c sprouts and tahini dressing
  • so stuffed I can't imagine eating again. But if I do, it'll probably be a small bowl of my paleo granola with almond milk

No comments:

Post a Comment